Commercial Recycling Program
Pennsylvania Act 101 requires all municipalities to report all recycling activities in the Township, including Commercial and Institutional establishments. As part of Act 101 these establishments are required to implement recycling programs and report their recycling totals to the Township on an annual basis.
Listed below is a list of materials that Commercial and Institutional establishments are mandated to recycle:
- Aluminum Cans
- Corrugated Cardboard
- High grade office paper
- Leaf waste
At a minimum, recycling must be collected weekly per the East Caln Township Ordinance!
East Caln Township encourages all Commercial/Institutions within the Township to expand their recycling programs above the minimums required to include: glass, plastics and other recyclable materials. Most businesses will find that recycling can be a more cost-effective practice than conventional waste disposal methods.
Starting (and continuing!) your commercial recycling program......
- Evaluate your waste. Determine what recyclable items you use and the quantity of those items. You may want to designate an employee as a recycling coordinator for your office.
- Contact your waste hauler. Contact your contracted hauler to set up a recycling schedule and designated area.
- Keep it simple. Clearly label all containers and place them where they can be easily accessed by everyone
- Take pride in doing it. Set an example. Make sure that materials end up in the proper designated bins.
- Be environmentally aware. Look for ways to reduce waste and increase recycling. Consider buying recycled items and items with environmentally friendly and reduced packaging. Recycle non-required items to the best of your abilities. Be creative.
- Help your community. Recycling puts money back into our community by way of grant money and this increases the benefits to both our Township and our environment.